Military OrganisationThe Military
As with nearly every Ancient, Old and Modern Civilisation or Country in the World, the Leader of that Ommunty, Country or Empire was also the Military Commander who made all final decisions.
In Egypt Pharaoh was the Overall Leader.
Pharaoh installed a Military Organisation which allowed for a chain of command.
Generals would advise the Pharaoh using their experience and knowledge. Often these Generals would garner great power and pose a threat to Pharaoh so they were usually trusted members of the Royal Family.
This was regularly a role for the Crown Prince of Egypt to fulfill.
The Main Force of the Military was primarily encamped within the Capital City; with Fortresses manned by Garrisons of Guards along the East and West borders, inside the Eastern Desert and in the South facing Nubia; especially along the Nile River.
- The soldiers, usually from the Lower Classes of Society, both native and mercenaries, were paid for their work as well as being housed, fed and trained
- Divided into 4 Groupings, named after the Gods: Ra, Amen, Ptah, Sutekh
- Charioteers usually came from the Upper Classes of Society
- They had 25 Chariots per Company; deployed in Troops of 10
- Squadrons of 50; 250 Chariots formed the Pedjetl who were commanded by ‘Commander of a Chariotry Host’
- The Mariners were usually from the Lower Classes of Society whilst the Higher Officers were from the Middle Classes
- They used 2 types of Boat, which could be sailed and rowed, giving them a massive advantage in manoeuvrability at all times:
1.) Reed Boat
2.) Planked Ship
Medjay: The Desert Ranger Police
An elite force who were often used to protect valuable areas; such as the Royal Palaces, the Capital City, the Tombs and the Royal Cemeteries
Thought to originally be from an ethnic group below the 2nd Cataract in Nubia, who seem to have immigrated into Egypt; but later diversified to take other elite Police representatives
Throughout Upper and Lower Egypt
Appeared in written records in the Old Kingdom; though it took until 18th Dynasty for them to reach the elite Paramilitary Police Force that they are best known as today
There is no longer any written records of the Medjay after the 20th Dynasty