Malkata NoblesThe Nobles - The People
Malkata Palace City Complex
Built during the New Kingdom Period by Pharaoh Amenhotep III for his Royal and personal use and he is thought to have died here. It was a Palace City for all Governance which covered 226,000 square meters and became the largest Palace City Complex in Egypt. It is found on the West Bank of Thebes, between the Nile and the Theban Hills. The Site is known to have housed Pharaoh’s Royal Residence and at least 2 of the 3 Sed Festival Jubilees that the Pharaoh celebrated during his reign.
What is there?
- The structures identified so far inside the Palace complex:
- Several Residential Palaces
- Temple of Amun and the Ceremonial Lake
- Festival Hall and Elite Villas
- Houses for the relatives of the Royal Family
- Apartments for Attendants
- Desert altar
- Canals connecting the complex to the Nile
- Villages appeared outside boundary walls and became abutted to the city