Abu Simbel TemplesTemples - Buildings - Builders & Buildings
The Mansions of Eternity for
Pharaoh Ramses II and his Great Royal Wife, Nefertari
What: Great Temple of Ramses II and Small Temple of his Chief Royal Wife Nefertari
When: The Temples were both constructed by being hewn out of the solid rock face between approx. 1264 – 1224 BC
Where: Edges of Upper Egypt in pharaonic times – now in the south of Egypt in the Governorate of Aswan
Built by Ramses II to show the might of his power to his neighbours in Nubia and to dissuade any thoughts of invasion; the Great Temple was dedicated to the Pharaoh himself and to the Gods RaHorakhty, Amun and Ptah. Apparently, the site was rediscovered by explorer Johann Burckhardt. He was allegedly taken to the site by a boy named Abu Simbel in 1813 and the site was then named after him. The site remained buried in sand until Giovanni Belzoni, acting on information from Johann Burckhardt, began to uncover the monument from the sand in 1817.